The Pueblo Urban Renewal Authority (PURA) was established in 1959 to promote the revitalization of Pueblo. Our Executive Director and 11-member board identify areas with little or no investment and create a plan to stimulate the neighborhood through various redevelopment projects.
To date, Urban Renewal has a total of nine project areas. PURA participates in development projects either by offering direct incentives to private developers or by investing in public improvements in designated project areas. Project areas have a 25-year life, and are approved by Pueblo City Council. Project programs are diverse and range from streetscape improvements to art investment, and from new development to job creation.
The Pueblo Urban Renewal Authority acknowledges its responsibility to:
- Protect and retain Pueblo’s downtown as the true core of our community with the understanding that a community’s potential need for revitalization is not confined to any one area
- Focus primarily on creating project areas that are “urban” vs. “new development”
- Support project areas that create a significant amount of new jobs
- Inform, educate, and communicate toward a better understanding of our strategies and financing mechanisms
- Maintain open and honest communication with Pueblo City Council, its Administration, taxing entities and any other community partners that may, from time to time, be affected
- Analyze and consider potential competitive consequences to established project areas as new project areas are considered
- Consider the utilization of residential tax increment financing only upon agreement relative to its consequences on other tax entities
- Consider the use of eminent domain only after demonstration of clear and convincing evidence that the taking of property is necessary for the eradication of blight
PURA Annual Reports
PURA Audit Reports
Virtual Town Hall Public Meeting
The City of Pueblo is hosting a public meeting for a NEW Aquatic and Community Center and request your input! Activities will include: a brief presentation of the proposed project, a presentation of aquatic and recreation trends across Colorado and the region, and an interactive component that will allow you to use virtual money to pay for the spaces and activities you would like to see in the center. The meeting takes place:
Thursday, August 5, 2021
6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Meeting ID: 834 1656 4267
Upcoming Board Meetings
PURA Regular Meeting
August 10, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
Call in Information 719-582-5125 Conference ID 533 850 933#
Follow the link below to join PURA’s Regular Meeting, virtually:
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 719-582-5125,,975499039# United States, Pueblo
Phone Conference ID: 533 850 933#
PURA Regular Meetings take place every 2nd Tuesday of each month at the Pueblo Convention Center (public comment begins at 11:50 a.m.).